I recently was asked, “What is your favorite thing about owning your own business?” This was an easy answer, FREEDOM and CONTROL. For going on 10 years I have been an entrepreneur. I have made mistake after mistake and there have even been brief moments when I wondered if owning a business was right for me. I say this all the time but I am saying it again. Entrepreneurship is not for everyone and there are for sure cons as well. But today I wanted to share my top 5 things about entrepreneurship that make my heart skip a beat. I am sure this is different for everyone but here are five main reasons I love what I do.
- Freedom – This is probably the main reason. Freedom of my time. Freedom of my choices. Freedom to create and do what I want. Freedom to work from where I want or to work with whom I want. Our mission here at STARTplanner is pretty simple… to help others live more intentional meaningful moments. FREEDOM to create a business with a voice and try to live that out daily is pretty cool.
- Control – I was recently speaking to some college students about one of our competitive advantages. We are small company, which allows us to make decisions and changes fast. When you have a larger company that is not as easy to do. We can think of a product, design it, create copy and a listing, take images, and bam just like that we have a new product. Okay, maybe it’s not as simple as that just sounded, but we can do things quickly because we have control. I love being able to have a vision and having full control on the direction we are going.
- Schedule – This is an obvious benefit of entrepreneurship, but I don’t put this as number one because there are also cons that go along with this. Don’t get me wrong, being able to be in charge of my time and schedule is huge! And one of the biggest blessings of being a business owner, but with that being said your schedule at times could be overflowed with work as well. Jenny and I solely ran the company on our own for close to a year. We were both probably doing the jobs of 3 employees a piece. We had to learn to be productive and efficient but we ended up working at time more than 40 hours a week and even still to this day (can we talk about launch week or next week when planners arrive) we still have to do that. But here is the thing for me. I don’t mind it. I have learned to set hard boundaries and there are seasons of “hustle”. It also helps that I happen to love what I do and would NOT change a thing!
- Flexibility – If something is not working you can change it. This goes back to having freedom and control and really even schedule too. But flexibility is a term that for sure is one of the positives of owning a business. If something is not working… you can change it! Is your work schedule not working with your family life? Change it. Is that new product you launched exactly what you envisioned? Change it. Are you unhappy with your life or the culture of your business? Change it! I could go on and on but I think you get my point.
- Make a Difference – When you work for yourself you can stand up for what you believe in. You can create the products that you want to create. I really feel like I have gone through all these experiences that I have (good and bad) to be able to be put into this position to make a difference. I am so thankful for those who trusted and supported us early on! I am also so proud of our team who also has the same vision to make a difference.
Yes, there are cons to being a business owner. The responsibility, the liability and all of those “benefits” above to some might seem stressful. Some individuals don’t like or want control. We have all been created different and if you haven’t lately, write out your strengths and weaknesses! Being a business owner is a challenge in and of itself. That is something that drives me. I have to say I enjoy the hustle and although I make more mistakes (or a lot of mistakes) so thankful we have the ability to change, press forward and authentically be who we are.
Here is a recent photo from this week while working in operations! This week has been all about the Hustle! Kara, me, and Jenny in from Portland!